Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Another Taylor-Tot installment

If you've read more than just one or two of my posts, you've probably noticed that I have a love for the old Taylor-Tot strollers. It's almost become an obsession, so much so that I have started my own restoration business. You can find me at http://www.3r1enterprises.com/ .

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone see my latest restoration.


It started out as the oldest Taylor-Tot that I had ever seen on ebay (which seems to be where most of these show up for sale). I don't have anything that tells me exactly, but I suspect it was from the late 1930's or the early 1940's. I just decided to call it a 1940 and leave it at that until I can prove differently.
NOTE: I now have confirmation that this was a 1937 stroller and the color was called "Spanish Brown".

Here was what I started with:

You can see that the front 'nose' has the art deco look and is sort of pointed. That's a lot different than the others I have seen.


Someone had decided that it was supposed to be blue, just like most of the later models- so they painted it.

Only thing is, once I started the teardown phase of the restoration, I found out that it was originally a maroon color. you can see that in the next picture.




The bottom of the rear sheetmetal shows the original color.

Me being me, I had to go original, so after the teardown, the media blasting, the priming, the painting, the detailing and the reassembly- it looks a lot different.

It's shinier because I use a base coat-clear coat paint and it makes them look a lot better than when they left the factory.





For your viewing pleasure:






I think it turned out nice.
Another piece of American history, returned to life.

If you'd like a reply to a comment- be sure to include a return address or visit us at http://www.3r1enterprises.com/ . I'd be glad to help you.

1 comment:

Cyn said...

I found your post while searching to figure out what my dad was sitting on in a photo taken Fall 1937 -- so thanks for your pics that helped me identify it as a Taylor Tot -- yours is definitely the same model my dad had. Very nice restoration!